Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lily-lou-do is quintessentially two

Today at her well child check-up, she saw a stapler covered with bright stickers behind the desk. When she could not HAVE said stapler, the realization sent her into a screaming tantrum that forced her to flail her body on the floor and roll around in front of the other patients. When the doctor came in, she eyed him suspiciously but remained uncharacteristically quiet. Going through the checklist of questions, he said, "is she putting more that 2 words together to create sentences?" and apparently, the suggestion that she might not be, offended her. She promptly piped up, "I jump on the colored boxes (she then jumped from tile to tile on the floor) and I have a Dora sticker!" The doctor turned to me with a surprised look, "so she's a rocket scientist, and I guess I'll skip the motor development section!" Later, as I explained to her that she might have to get a shot today, she grabbed her little thighs and cried, "Mommy, they NOT cut me!" (lucky for her they were temporarily out of Hep A vaccines). But unfortunately, she did have to have her thumb pricked. She screamed over and over to the poor lady collecting her blood, "YOU'RE HURTING ME, YOU'RE HURTING ME!". I didn't know who to feel worse for. Luckily the pain was short lived, and once she had her sparkly band aid on, she looked up at me with those big blue eyes, red with tears, and said, "soda now?" Yes my little love. You earned it.

13 comments:

Christy said...

what a cutie! she is so funny. i love the, "you're hurting me!" i think these things are easier when they don't talk. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh she will love reading this when she is older. You are such a good writer. She is an absolute doll!

Jill Revell said...

She is too cute and too funny! I agree with christy...things are easier when they don't talk.

dixonfamily said...

What a little smarty!! She is just so adorable! It is so fun to be able to know what is going on in their head at such a young age. My niece, who is not yet two, prays for Harry Potter every night. Kids are just too funny! Glad everyone survived the pokes and pricks at the doctors'.

Nicole said...

i love it! kids say the funniest things and you just have to laugh!!! "you're hurting me!" i feel so badly for the nurses who have to do that. way to go lily though, tell her how you feel- don't keep it bottled in! :) i bet she enjoyed that soda too at the end.

Erin S said...

Wow, she is very vocal! It always makes things interesting, right? You never know what to expect.... :) So fun being a parent!

Jessop Family said...

Lily is so cute. Way to impress the doc! Finger pricks are no fun. Maric (since he has no words yet) does the tantrum thing every time he wants something he cannot have.

Isaura said...

what a cutie! i bet it's always nice to hear that your babies are doing well

Tiff and Dave said...

What a cute little Lily-lou-do! She sounds like quite the little character. I'm sure that made it even harder for the nurse that was trying to give her the shots. She sounds like quite the little smarty pants and I would love to meet her some day!

Rapp Family said...

What a doll! I so wish we lived close to eachother so our kids could play. Your kids are just so sweet, even Lilly's little tantrums. I loved your queen of england post. So inspiring! Dave is awesome and he LOVES you!!! After reading that, I'm going to start doing more cute and thoughtful things for my husband. Thanks!!

Brandon and Natalie said...

Don't we all love 2 year olds???

Kmart was having a deal where they doubled any coupon you had, I've been saving coupons for a while and they were all about to expire so why not spend them all in one place... They don't really have food so I just got cleaning supplies and lots of shampoo & conditioner - $130 worth before coupons! :) Doesn't it bring a smile to your face?!? I love it.

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad to hear you made it through the storm okay! Those scare me because of how strong they are! So glad to hear you are okay. Bailey had her first shots and it's SO HARD to watch your little ones get shots, I wasn't prepared for that! Poor little Lily. :) Give that girl a soda! :)
And I liked your post about your and DAve's notes, that's so cute. And your toaster is VERY nice! :)

Tish said...

Awwww lol